How do bakers stop icing from cracking and drying out when making decorations?
- Use a dab of Trex rubbed into your hands when you kneed it.
- Use modeling paste rather than paste when modeling, like Saracino or cake Dutchess.
- When covering use Massa or Smartflex or other similar product.
- Repair fondant by filling them in with a fresh piece of fondant.
- Smooth edges with your fingertips coated with shortening.
- Cracks can be smoothed with an icing smoother or your fingertips.
- Do not wet your fingers with water. This will cause the fondant to melt and tear further.